strange issues with squeeze and udev rules

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe it's a bug...

1. Is hal depreciated in squeeze, in favour of udev?
2. I'm not familiar with a Debian-specific way of doing any of this;
here is my resource for trackpoint configuration:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_configure_the_TrackPoint
3. The udev method didn't work as it should.

For /etc/udev/udev.d/10-trackpoint.rules to work, psmouse and
thinkpad_acpi need to be in the initramfs.
Otherwise, udev doesn't trigger /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1
udevadm test /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1
verifies that the 10-trackpoint.rules actually works, once the system is
up.  udevadm test should not need to be manually invoked, with every
boot, in /etc/rc.local.

At any rate, adding psmouse and thinkpad_acpi to my initramfs is a good
enough work around for me...except that 10-trackpoint.rules needs to be
run after returning for hibernate.

Could someone please point me in the right direction, or perhaps offer a
better way of configuring this?

Thanks!
Nick