Re: what laptop to buy - suggestion for Debian project developers

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010, SAMUEL JOSE PEREIRA CARNEIRO MACDOWELL wrote:

Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 10:32:57 -0300 (BRT)
From: SAMUEL JOSE PEREIRA CARNEIRO MACDOWELL <macdowell.smd@dpf.gov.br>
To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: what laptop to buy - suggestion for Debian project developers

before buy a HP lap top I suggest look at the site below

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

My Pavilion tx1420us had the problems described albeit is not mentioned
among the computers for recall. So I had to pay to have it fixed.

if that helps . . .

mac

I have basically given up on the idea of buying a new computer to upgrade from what I have now.

If the computer manufacturers make it clear to us that they want us to not buy their products, then I suppose that we should, in that regard, respect their wishes.

Apart from HP's apparent new hostility toward Linux, I had approached two local computer shops regarding desktops that have quad core CPU's and 8GB RAM, that they have advertised.

Like most businesses in Australia, they showed that they are not interested in sales, as requests for information, have no response.

I had previously purchased computers and peripherals, from both shops, but the shops seem to be part of the apparent suicide campaign of Australian businesses - "If we ignore customers, perhaps they will go away and leave us alone to die in peace".

So, it appears that, in Western Australia, neither laptop computers, nor desktop computers, are available, that are new, that are compatible with Linux, and that are reasonably priced (under 1100 AUD), and that can do what I want (including 1240x1024 graphics resolution).

So, I am stick with my NX5000, with a Celeron and 2GB RAM, and, my desktop with (from memory) an AMD K7 and 2GB RAM, and frequent crashes (every day or so), due to running out of memory, due to web browsers (the Mozilla based ones) not working properly.

So, it appears that new computers are simply best given up on, as a lost cause, due to the attituide of the manufacturers.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."