Re: Only wireless, no eth0

Hi !

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 05:25:42PM +0000, Harvey Kelly wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've returned to the fold from Ubuntu, and installed Lenny yesterday,
> followed by an immediate upgrade to Squeeze.
>
> Everything works great, except I'm connected via wireless, not the
> ethernet.  I've only just noticed this(!) when I accidentally clicked
> on the icon in the system tray (I'm using Gnome), where I was informed
> that 'Wired Network' is 'device not managed'.
>
> Unplugged my ethernet cable, and yup, sure enough, I'm still connected
> to the net.  What puzzles me is that at no time was I quizzed for the
> modem's password...
>
> Anyway, this is the first laptop I've ever owned (Compaq Presario
> CQ70), so have no idea how to get it stop connecting via wireless and
> to eth0 - I've had a quick dig around to see if I could see anything,
> but to no avail.

I had about the same problem with an Asus X71SL.

I got with lspci -vv :

02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Device 1a3b:1067
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
	Region 0: Memory at fdff0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: ath9k

With dhclient eth0, I got an IP address and I could ping that address, but noone else.
This was corrected with kernel 2.6.32, now available in sid.

See bug #541169

Hope this helps

--
Pierre Meurisse