Re: Transfering files via crossover ethernet cable: What to configure?

Hi,

> How would I go about doing that for a "network" that is temporary in
> nature and between just two computers? I do not want to change
> settings that would prevent the laptop from connecting regularly when
> I take it back home and connect to my home wired network.

I would suggest either of :
- A Zeroconf setup with avahi-autoipd and an advertised samba service
on your laptop for file exchange (Samba is supported out of the box on
Windows and Mac clients, and is easy to use as a client at least on
Gnome&KDE, FTP is still an alternative) :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeroconf (I never implemented this but it
should work, and it would be reasonable to assume that avahi-autoipd
uses a DHCP server if it finds one)
- a script on your laptop that would automatically start a DHCP server
and configure your Ethernet interface consistently with the DHCP
server setup, and start a file server daemon and when you're finished,
put back your settings in place.

Both setups do not involve software installation on the computers you
want to interact with, and network interface settings are left in
"Automatic IP address".

Alex