Re: Transfering files via crossover ethernet cable: What to configure?

> AFAIK most of the present day network hardware have Auto-MDIX
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-MDIX
> My T42, three years old has this, so one really does not have to bother.

This is very, very interesting, thanks! Do both sides have to support
this for it to work, or is one side enough?

>> Can I configure an FTP server locally, that would allow for easy
>> connection via Windows Explorer, Konqueror, and Nautilus? I need the
>> ability to transfer files in both directions. Thanks in advance for
>> any ideas.
>
> I would suggest using Samba.  FTP is always an option.

Really? Do you suggest Samba because it works with the Windows
machines? Should I use it when connecting to other Debian or Fedora
machines?

Also, as there is no router involved, how would the the "other"
machine connect to my machine? Will I need to install a DHCP server?
Can I assign a name to my laptop, so that the other machine could just
connect to that name?

Thanks! I have been googling this all morning and I cannot believe
that not many people have been in this situation before, it seems so
commonplace.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com