Re: Transfering files via crossover ethernet cable: What to configure?

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Dotan Cohen<dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> AFAIK most of the present day network hardware have Auto-MDIX
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-MDIX
>> My T42, three years old has this, so one really does not have to bother.
>>

> This is very, very interesting, thanks! Do both sides have to support
> this for it to work, or is one side enough?

One side is sufficient I guess.

>>> Can I configure an FTP server locally, that would allow for easy
>>> connection via Windows Explorer, Konqueror, and Nautilus? I need the
>>> ability to transfer files in both directions. Thanks in advance for
>>> any ideas.
>>
>> I would suggest using Samba.  FTP is always an option.
>>

> Really? Do you suggest Samba because it works with the Windows
> machines? Should I use it when connecting to other Debian or Fedora
> machines?

You can use it as well.  There are lot of options while copying files between
GNU/Linux installed machines, you can use FTP, scp etc.. I mostly
use scp to copy between peer's.

> Also, as there is no router involved, how would the the "other"
> machine connect to my machine? Will I need to install a DHCP server?
> Can I assign a name to my laptop, so that the other machine could just
> connect to that name?

one can connectly directly with an ethernet cable.  assign I.P's in
the same subnet
(example 192.168.1.2/24 192.168.1.3/24) and there's network between
two computers.
You don't need DHCP, thats basically required for managing networks
when there are more
clients.  I don't know the kind of setup you need so unable to
comment.  Ideally you
might think of getting a switch(maybe wireless but less speed) and
connecting the different
computers, again I don't now the requirements.  Naming requires DNS support.

If you intend to setup basic networking you might want to read:

http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/networking-concepts-HOWTO.html

Rusty's others documentations are interesting and fun as well.

Debian has all the tools you might require for doing your networking tasks.