Re: fglrx: Out of memory when allocating device heads

Hey,

On Tuesday 06 October 2009 04:20:10 Michael wrote:
> It still does not really work.  The 'radeonhd' driver appears to have no GL direct rendering. Google earth, for example, barfs that it will be using a slow emulation.
>
> When i used the 'radeon' driver it would not enable the maximal resolution (1400x1050@16) so i stick with 'radeonhd'. Interestingly this one does not depend on the firmware-linux package, and i deinstalled it.
radeonhd will still probably need firmware-linux, even though it doesn't depend on it.  In order to enable acceleration, the firmware for your card has to be uploaded to the card's ram, requiring the firmware-linux package.
<snip

> I tried to downgrade Xorg and any fglrx packages to 'stable' but then fglrx-source would no more build. It also seemed that reinstalling fglrx messed up radeonhd somehow, and i had to purge all fglrx-* packages to get it clean again.
The fglrx-glx will cause the radeonhd driver to misbehave as it replaces the implementation of GL with an ati specific version.  If you use radeonhd that package has to be uninstalled.

Matthew