Re: VM Ware Player under Debian Lenny AMD64 on laptop

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Lennart
Sorensen<lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 09:10:49PM +0400, James Brown wrote:
>> I intend to install on my laptop under Debian Lenny AMD 64  the VM Ware
>> Player 2.5.2 from http://www.vmware.com/download/player/download.html
>> (becouse there is no VMWare Player in the official repositories of the
>> Debian).
>> Which of the packege do I need - rpm or bundle? How do install it on Debian?
>> And what of libraries and etc. do I need install for succesfull using
>> VMWare Player?
>
> You do not want the rpm.
>
> I don't like the current bundles either.  I keep nagging vmware to provide
> the tar files that worked with make-vmpkg again, but they are too clueless
> to understand why real admins won't run GUI installer crap in X as root
> on their systems rather than something the package manager can deal with.
>
> Fortunately we now have kvm (on machines with virtualization hardware
> support) which is in my opinion much better than vmware, free, open
> source, and maintained and part of stock kernels.  I have no need for
> vmware anymore.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen
>

> --

+1
KVM is better and easier, but perhaps you should look at:
http://wiki.debian.org/SystemVirtualization they have good information
on virtualization products (KVM, vmware, qemu, etc).

--
Usuario Linux Registrado #452368
Usuario Ubuntu Registrado #28025

"Doing a thing well is often a waste of time."
//Netbook - HP Mini 1035NR 2GB 60GB - Windows XP/Ubuntu 9.04
//Desktop - Core 2 Duo 1.86Ghz 8GB 500GB - Windows 7(testing)
//Desktop - Core 2 Duo 2.40Ghz 8GB 320GB - MacOS Leopard
//Desktop - Athlon 64 2.7Ghz 8GB 400GB - Ubuntu Jaunty
//Server - Pentium D 3.2Ghz 8GB 1TB - Debian Lenny
//Server - Celeron 1.8Ghz 1GB 160GB - Pfsense
//Server - NSLU2 266Mhz 32MB 1TB - Debian Lenny