Re: VM Ware Player under Debian Lenny AMD64 on laptop

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 09:10:49PM +0400, James Brown wrote:
> I intend to install on my laptop under Debian Lenny AMD 64  the VM Ware
> Player 2.5.2 from http://www.vmware.com/download/player/download.html
> (becouse there is no VMWare Player in the official repositories of the
> Debian).
> Which of the packege do I need - rpm or bundle? How do install it on Debian?
> And what of libraries and etc. do I need install for succesfull using
> VMWare Player?

You do not want the rpm.

I don't like the current bundles either.  I keep nagging vmware to provide
the tar files that worked with make-vmpkg again, but they are too clueless
to understand why real admins won't run GUI installer crap in X as root
on their systems rather than something the package manager can deal with.

Fortunately we now have kvm (on machines with virtualization hardware
support) which is in my opinion much better than vmware, free, open
source, and maintained and part of stock kernels.  I have no need for
vmware anymore.

--
Len Sorensen