frequent X crashes

I am running Debian unstable on a Lenovo Thinkpad X61. I dist-upgrade
frequently. Since about two weeks I get thrown out of my X sessions a
lot, and then I have to log in again, which of course is very
annoying. No specific precipitator of the crashes has become evident,
but it appears to happen mostly (but not exclusively) when watching
video with either vlc, smplayer or ogle.

At about the same time as this started, I noticed that I no longer
have access to other virtual terminals through Ctrl-Alt-F1 and
similar. Trying to access them either causes X to crash or does
nothing, randomly.

Does anyone recognize these problems, and if so, is there a solution?
Sorry for the vague descriptions instead of a proper bug report, but
since I cannot find a way to reliably cause crashes, I do not know
what package to file a bug against. It is most likely some part of the
X conglomerate of course, but it appeared to me that the lack of
virtual terminals could be related and I do not even know what package
handles that.

Regards, Johan

--
Johan Sandblom, MD PhD