Re: cpufreq_conservative on Lenny AMD64?

[Follow-up on debian-laptop. Dropping other lists/newsgroups]

Hi,

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 00:46 +0000, s. keeling wrote:

> This box is an HP Pavilion dv4, AMD64. [..] it's always running hot.  The fan is
> always on.  I'd like to have this thing ramp its CPU frequency back to
> its minimum when CPU load is close to zero.

What does cpufreq-info (package cpufrequtils) reports, especially, what
governor is in use

which cpu freq driver do you use?
(The available drivers are listed in :
/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/ I don't
know which one is the best for your CPU, but google is your friend).

> [..]  How do I get it to ramp down its CPU Hz?  It
> doesn't need to be running at 2.x GHz, so why is it?  It should ramp
> up to that level when the OS has stuff to do, yes?  Am I
> misunderstanding something basic here?

Correct. This is what the "ondemand" governor should do.

> I've been through /etc/default fixing stuff there.  I've fought with
> /etc/cpufreqd.conf, to no result.  "Restarting CPU Frequency daemon:
> cpufreqd failed!"  Ideas?  I would expect this machine to be new
> enough to handle cpufreq's latest abilities.

I haven't used cpufreqd for a while. I think it isn't required. Have you
tried to remove it, to return to pristine situation?

Then you could use "cpufreq-set -g ondemand" to modify the cpufreq
settings, live.

Some extra hints
* Make sure you run the latest (recommended) firmware.
* Try using powertop to make sure that nothing prevents the CPU
  from sleeping.

Regards,

Franklin