cpufreq_conservative on Lenny AMD64?

I've been fighting with this for weeks, trying to learn everything I
need to know.  Unfortunately, I don't appear to be getting anywhere.

This box is an HP Pavilion dv4, AMD64.  Lenny mostly runs great on it
(better than Sidux :-), however it's always running hot.  The fan is
always on.  I'd like to have this thing ramp its CPU frequency back to
its minimum when CPU load is close to zero.

CPU load is barely ticking over on this thing in both cores, yet it's
running at 71 C in TZ01.  How do I get it to ramp down its CPU Hz?  It
doesn't need to be running at 2.x GHz, so why is it?  It should ramp
up to that level when the OS has stuff to do, yes?  Am I
misunderstanding something basic here?

I've been through /etc/default fixing stuff there.  I've fought with
/etc/cpufreqd.conf, to no result.  "Restarting CPU Frequency daemon:
cpufreqd failed!"  Ideas?  I would expect this machine to be new
enough to handle cpufreq's latest abilities.

(1) [root] infidel /root_ lsmod | grep cpu
cpufreq_powersave       1856  0
cpufreq_userspace       3172  0
cpufreq_stats           3776  0
cpufreq_ondemand        6476  0
freq_table              4224  2 cpufreq_stats,cpufreq_ondemand
cpufreq_conservative     5960  0

Thanks for enlightenment, if you have it.