Re: Lightweight Local Mail Solution

Eli L. wrote:
> I've been looking for a way to setup a local mail system to get email
> from services, mainly tripwire/other cron jobs, without running a full
> MTA.

You could install 'nullmailer' and have it deliver all local mail to
your smarthost where you could read it in your main mailbox.

> Since it's a laptop, it seemed unnecessary to run a full-fledged
> mail system for such a small task.

That is a good sentiment.  I can get behind that mental attitude.  If
you don't need it then why bloat things?  I am all for it.

But in the choice of words I would say because it is a small machine
used as a thin client where you don't need it, and not because it is a
laptop.  On my laptop I do queue email and I do read and reply to mail
while offline.  My laptop is not a thin client.  Just being a laptop
doesn't cause a strong indicator that it shouldn't run an MTA.  But
your use model of using it only as a thin client is a different
indicator.  Just a disagreement over the choice of words here. :-)

However if your system has enough ram and swap configured such that
you are not feeling VM pressure then running a full MTA might be
simplest.  When the MTA isn't doing anything then it won't stress your
system.  Unused pages will be swapped out freeing ram for other tasks.
Things will "just work" and may reduce your own human resources.  If
you have a 1G ram machine or more then I would personally just go with
the flow because you would never notice it.  If you were running on a
128M ram machine or less then it is a completely different story.

> Usually I use msmtp for outgoing mail; is there a way to configure
> the msmtp-mta package to also handle local mail?  (I haven't found
> any documents about how to do this)

I am not an authority on msmtp so take this appropriately but I don't
think so.

> Am I completely off-base with this and should just use exim and not
> worry about it?

Exim is a fine MTA.  In my opinion Exim and Postfix are the two known
good standard MTAs.  Personally I would install Postfix and configure
it for "Local only" which is one of the standard installation options
and therefore very simple to set up.  I am sure that Exim has an
equivalent but don't know it off the top of my head.  Then with
whichever MTA you chose things should "just work" for you.

Alternatively you could install nullmailer and configure it to send
all mail off to a smarthost for handling.  (I normally use nullmailer
in chroots to provide /usr/bin/sendmail and configure it to send all
mail to the localhost where the postfix in the supervisor system
really handles the mail.)

Bob