Re: Lightweight Local Mail Solution

> But in the choice of words I would say because it is a small machine
> used as a thin client where you don't need it, and not because it is a
> laptop.  On my laptop I do queue email and I do read and reply to mail
> while offline.  My laptop is not a thin client.  Just being a laptop
> doesn't cause a strong indicator that it shouldn't run an MTA.  But
> your use model of using it only as a thin client is a different
> indicator.  Just a disagreement over the choice of words here. :-)

Ah, good point; your wording is much more accurate. :)
While it'd be nice to have a queue for offline email, it's not really something
I ever need.

> Exim is a fine MTA.  In my opinion Exim and Postfix are the two known
> good standard MTAs.  Personally I would install Postfix and configure
> it for "Local only" which is one of the standard installation options
> and therefore very simple to set up.  I am sure that Exim has an
> equivalent but don't know it off the top of my head.  Then with
> whichever MTA you chose things should "just work" for you.

I took your advice and spent about a week with Postfix.  I was really impressed;
it's an excellent MTA, and I've sinced moved my server over to it.  On my laptop
I had it configured to hand off to a smarthost and was having a lot of trouble
keeping my emails out of spam bins; after looking at some of the headers, I have
a good idea of why it was happening, but ultimately decided that it wasn't worth
sorting out at this point (lots of stuff going on and I need my laptop
functional).

Since nullmailer was suggested so much, I looked at it as well.  It seems great
as a basic relay, but it lacked a few of the features that I really wanted
(namely changing the SMTP server based on the From: header).

Ultimately I went with esmtp (esmtp and esmtp-run in Apt).  It's a basic relay
that's easy to configure and has a few nice features (TLS, From: header based
SMTP).  It can also handle local delivery via procmail; while it doesn't support
aliases or .forwards, you can get the same effect with some procmail
configuration.
There's also a script to implement a rudimentary queue.  I haven't tried it yet,
but it seems like a nice, albeit simple, way of accomplishing offline email.

Thanks for the advice everyone!  Now I can get back to things that *aren't*
reading massive amounts of man pages and configuring MTAs...

--
-Eli