Lightweight Local Mail Solution

I've been looking for a way to setup a local mail system to get email
from services, mainly tripwire/other cron jobs, without running a full MTA.

Since it's a laptop, it seemed unnecessary to run a full-fledged mail system for
such a small task.

Usually I use msmtp for outgoing mail; is there a way to configure the msmtp-mta
package to also handle local mail?  (I haven't found any documents about how to
do this)

Am I completely off-base with this and should just use exim and not worry about
it?

--
-Eli