Debian Etch and half

Hello;
I had problems installing Etch 4.0 r1 because the cdrom
driver on my laptop was not detected. I obtained a commercially
packaged DVD set of Etch 4.0 r5 and am having the same problem.

I got Etch 4.0 r5 for 32 bit (i386) system. Perhaps I should have gotten
the 64 bit version?

Anyhow, the cdrom (actually DVD/CDROM RW) drive is not being
detected.

I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on the machine at present. Is it possible
to get a driver designation and feed it to the Debian installer?

Thank You
Jeff K