Replacing Ubuntu with Debian Etch

Hello:
I recently purchased a laptop from Linux Certified
of Sunnyvale California.
The Linux Certified model, if anyone is familiar
is LC2430S with Intel dual core. The manufacturer
Is Compal Information Technology and lists its
model # as HL90

I do not like the installation of Ubuntu that came
with the machine and want to switch to Debian Etch 4.0 r1
(for AMD64). This machine has dual core Intel
processor but as far as I can see the commercial
packaged Debian distro I have will work on it.

The First problem:
I insert the Debian install disc 1 and reboot
setting CMOS to boot from cd rom (DVD/CD/RW).
All goes well until after setting the language and
time zone, etc. Then the cdrom drive cannot be
detected. It asks me to specify the driver to look
for and in one screen I can do ls /dev and pick
the one that represent the cdrom.
The problem is that scroll lock does not work
as it should, so I cannot see all of the output.

I rebooted into Ubuntu and found the cdrom
device to be sr0 and in in /dev it is listed
as a link to scd0. But that is Ubuntu, not
the Debian installer. The Ubuntu system
would not be available so I do not know if
the same designation applies.

The odd academic question is:
How is it that the installer cannot detect the
cdrom  when it is running off the cdrom?

Thank you for info, advice, etc
Jeff K