Re: USB 1.1 too slow for burning DVD's [update/revisited]

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 04:05:29PM EST, Paolo wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 05:07:25PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> > now strongly suspect that I could have bought an external USB DVD burner
> > at a lesser cost and that I would have had no problems burning my
> > backups via this slow channel. I'm not going to buy an external burner
> > DVD+RW will simply continue at the exact same spot, eventually resulting
> > in a valid copy of the input data, no holes attached.
>
> up to you to try - good luck and pls report back, I won't do it for you,
> I've piled up enough DVDs, now good as glass-mat only ;)

The other reason I won't is that the point of having a laptop is maximum
power with minimal "form factor" :-)

I'm usually more in favor of leaving expensive laptop add-ons alone
anywway and checking if I wouldn't be better off installing their more
affordable equivalents in some no-name tower that I would ssh to if need
be.

> Anyway, DVD+R is known to offer such feature (theoretically), but YMMV.
> And, ~4400 MB @ ~10Mbps means ~73 mins for recording just 1 DVD ...
>
> > while growisofs is burning an .iso image, the system becomes totally
> > unresponsive & unusable for other purposes.  I'm not sure why this
> > happens since CPU utilization does not appear to be that high (but then
>
> your system is I/O bounded, gowisofs takes up the whole i/o bandwidth;

Yes, that makes excellent sense.

> check DVD burner docs and/or play with gowisofs' -speed.
> check with ' dmesg|grep -i yenta' (or whatever pccard driver it's using)
> what your pcard is using, also check with 'cat /proc/interrupts' that you
> have INT handled by IO-APIC-*; if you see XT-PIC instead, your system is
> handling interrupts the old and quite inefficient way; that might be either
> the kernel config or just your system.

.. and right you are .. XT-PIC it is!

> > burning data from the albeit slow HD (4200rpm I believe) that it's no
>
> no magic in place here, it won't read faster than your HDD's speed - check
> with 'hdparm -tT /dev/hda' (as root and assuming HDD is hda) what's your
> limit.

Can't do it right now .. watching an online TV news channel .. and
you're supposed to run it on an otherwise inactive system .. per the man
page.

Do you know of good in-depth documentation of linux+PC hardware issues?

I'm so ignorant of these aspects, it's really embarrassing.

Thanks!

CJ