Re: USB 1.1 too slow for burning DVD's [update/revisited]

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 05:07:25PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> now strongly suspect that I could have bought an external USB DVD burner
> at a lesser cost and that I would have had no problems burning my
> backups via this slow channel. I'm not going to buy an external burner
> DVD+RW will simply continue at the exact same spot, eventually resulting
> in a valid copy of the input data, no holes attached.

up to you to try - good luck and pls report back, I won't do it for you,
I've piled up enough DVDs, now good as glass-mat only ;)
Anyway, DVD+R is known to offer such feature (theoretically), but YMMV.
And, ~4400 MB @ ~10Mbps means ~73 mins for recording just 1 DVD ...

> while growisofs is burning an .iso image, the system becomes totally
> unresponsive & unusable for other purposes.  I'm not sure why this
> happens since CPU utilization does not appear to be that high (but then

your system is I/O bounded, gowisofs takes up the whole i/o bandwidth;
check DVD burner docs and/or play with gowisofs' -speed.
check with ' dmesg|grep -i yenta' (or whatever pccard driver it's using)
what your pcard is using, also check with 'cat /proc/interrupts' that you
have INT handled by IO-APIC-*; if you see XT-PIC instead, your system is
handling interrupts the old and quite inefficient way; that might be either
the kernel config or just your system.

> burning data from the albeit slow HD (4200rpm I believe) that it's no

no magic in place here, it won't read faster than your HDD's speed - check
with 'hdparm -tT /dev/hda' (as root and assuming HDD is hda) what's your
limit.

regards
--
paolo