Re: Fw: Re: problem with sleep modes etc.. on a ThinkPad600 with Etch

Robert Smith wrote:

Assuming you don't have a partition set up for saving data through machine "Hibernation," I would guess that by "sleep" you mean suspend.

Yes, that must be it. I now remember that I had firstly set a special partition for hibernation mode, that was about six years ago, but this soon disappeared when I upgraded from RedHat 6.0 to RedHat 7.2, since I forgot to do this. So, my sleep modes must have been 'suspend', even though I must precise that such a suspend mode let me more than a week of autonomy on battery.

Have you tried issuing the command (as Root) "apm -s"? What does this do? If it puts the machine into suspense, then you must relink that command with the Fn-F4 key press.

#apm -s
No APM support in kernel

'man apm' does provide a man page for 'apm', as if it was implemented. I have checked /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog for the chain of characters 'apm', and it was absent from both files.

However, my system hosts a number of files concerning "apm", as follows :

localhost:/var/log# find / | grep apm
/usr/include/linux/apm_bios.h
/usr/include/asm/mach-default/apm.h
/usr/include/asm-i486/mach-default/apm.h
/usr/lib/libapm.so.1
/usr/lib/libapm.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/apm_drv.so
/usr/sbin/apmd
/usr/bin/apmsleep
/usr/bin/apm
/usr/share/man/man4/apm.4.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/apm_available.1
/usr/share/man/man1/apm.1
/usr/share/man/man1/apmsleep.1
/usr/share/man/man8/apmd.8.gz
/usr/share/man/fr/man1/apmsleep.1.gz
/usr/share/apmd
/usr/share/apmd/apmd_proxy.conf
/usr/share/doc/apmd
/usr/share/doc/apmd/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/apmd/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/apmd/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/apmd/apmsleep.README
/usr/share/doc/apmd/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/apmd/README
/usr/share/doc/apmd/copyright
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-apm
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-apm/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-apm/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libapm1
/usr/share/doc/libapm1/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/libapm1/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libapm1/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/libapm1/copyright
/etc/init.d/apmd
/etc/rc2.d/S20apmd
/etc/rc4.d/S20apmd
/etc/rc6.d/K20apmd
/etc/rc1.d/K20apmd
/etc/default/apmd
/etc/rc3.d/S20apmd
/etc/apm
/etc/apm/event.d
/etc/apm/event.d/20hdparm
/etc/apm/event.d/anacron
/etc/apm/apmd_proxy
/etc/apm/suspend.d
/etc/apm/suspend.d/99hwclock
/etc/apm/suspend.d/20ifplugd
/etc/apm/scripts.d
/etc/apm/scripts.d/hwclock
/etc/apm/scripts.d/ifplugd
/etc/apm/other.d
/etc/apm/other.d/50ifplugd
/etc/apm/resume.d
/etc/apm/resume.d/80ifplugd
/etc/apm/resume.d/00hwclock
/etc/rc0.d/K20apmd
/etc/logcheck/ignore.d.paranoid/apmd
/etc/rc5.d/S20apmd
/var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xorg-video-apm.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.preinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.prerm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.prerm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xorg-video-apm.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.preinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.conffiles
/var/cache/apt/archives/xserver-xorg-video-apm_1%3a1.1.1-3_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libapm1_3.2.2-8.1_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/apmd_3.2.2-8.1_i386.deb
/lib/modules/2.6.18-6-686/kernel/drivers/net/arcnet/capmode.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.18-6-686/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.ko
/dev/.static/dev/apm_bios
/sbin/apm_available

So, I don't know why apm is not installed. I will take some time reading about conffiles which I have just discovered in listing this.

I remember reading something about how this function might not work on 600s if the floppy disk drive's driver were not loaded. Could this be your problem in a day and age where floppies are almost unheard of?

I have never known such problem with my TP600. Suspend mode or something similar, did function perfectly for years, without floppy driver (I don't even know where to find that thing now :))

Rob Smith
"Linux, because software, like people, should be allowed to exist in an open, sharing community, and not kept contained by corporate greed!"