From: Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr>
Subject: problem with sleep modes etc.. on a ThinkPad600 with Etch
To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Date: Monday, November 10, 2008, 11:26 AM

Hi to Everyone,

The laptops interrupts (is this the right word ?) - which had worked
perfectly well for many years on my ThinkPad 600 under RedHat 7.2 - do
not operate under Debian Etch. Nothing shuts down or goes to sleep when
I close the lid, neither the video nor the hard disk (I can hear its
noise) ; I am not sure whether the fan works or not ; nothing goes to
sleep after a while even when the system is powered on battery... if I
press Fn+F4 on the keyboard (sleep icon), the system indeed goes to
sleep, but then there is no way I can awaken it ... and a CTRL-ALT-DEL
does nothing, same if pressing the OFF switch... the only way to get out
of this is to unplug AC power AND remove battery
for a few seconds, then
put it back and start again. I now have to shutdown this laptop
everyday, even several times a day, while, when it ran under RedHat 7.2,
I practically never shut it down, just closed the lid.

If someone wishes to see the /var/log/messages generated by my laptop
system during last boot, this is being displayed at the following address.

http://www.teaser.fr/~bdebreil/log_messages

Thanks in advance for any shared experience or advice so as to get that
old laptop operate as it should.

Bernard