Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:42:26PM +0800, Clayton wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:10:56 +0530
> "justin joseph" <justinjoseph007@gmail.com> wrote:

> > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_broken_sound_on_ThinkPad_600
> >
> > And am sure there would a a lot and lot of google hits for the same,
> > because like I mentioned it is a very well known problem.
>
> Indeed, there is an awful lot of advice out there about how to get the
> 600 / 600e's sound working, and everyone's advice seems to be a little
> different. I burnt off three more hours this eve trying the above
> thinkwiki suggestions for my 600e, plus various other ALSA module
> blacklist / modprobe voodoo, all to no avail. Another machine that does
> not work with ALSA....
>
> Actually, the root problem is probably deeper then ALSA (IRQ conflict?)
> as in its current state, not even USB audio works for me. USB audio has
> *always* worked on my other machines, without exception.

Maybe this can help.  A few days ago, the cmos battery died (at power
up, the bios was asking me for date and time).  I bought a new one from
ebay and installed it.  Now the computer remembered the date and time,
and everything was back to normal, except that the %&*@# sound system
again didn't work.  The driver got into a loop when loaded, it was not
possible to unload it or kill it and cpu utilization went to 100%.

Luckily I took good notes when I got it to work.  The devices got
disabled when the cmos battery died.  Doing this re-enabled them:

# echo 'activate' > /sys/devices/pnp0/00:06/resources
# echo 'activate' > /sys/devices/pnp0/00:07/resources

After that, the sound driver (snd-cs4231) loads just fine and sound is
back to normal.

# cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00:06/resources
state = active
io 0x538-0x53f

# cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00:07/resources
state = active
io 0x388-0x38b
io 0x220-0x233
io 0x530-0x537
irq 5
dma 1
dma 0

Before the re-activation, "disabled" was returned.

A.