Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

Hi Clayton, Hi to everyone,

Le Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:40:07 +0100, Clayton a écrit :

> Hi Bernard,
>

>> My first question concerns the cable connexion between the router
>> Fonera and my pcmcia Ethernet cards. My first Ethernet card, the IBM
>
> Do not worry (much) about the cable that comes with a particular
> Ethernet card. If the plug fits in the socket, and you can make the
> card work in any environment using any OS, you know the card and the
> cable are good. Then if you trouble in a different environment, the
> problem probably lies with either the network configuration of your OS
> or the router you are trying to connect to.
>

> If you successfully connected to the Fonera with this same card using a
> Windows system, then there is no problem with card or Fonera.
> Networking is not properly configured on your Debian system.
>
>> this problem ?  which Ethernet pcmcia card will have the same
>> plugging system as the EtherJet card as well as being workable under
>> Linux ?  From the above report of trials, I am unable to know whether
>> the fact that I cannot run this system under Linux is due to this
>> system or to the connection mode...
>
> Again, do not worry about what the cable looks like, as long as you know
> the cable works. I think this is the chapter of the manual that you are
> looking for:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-net-high

This is an interresting document for me. I read it and bookmarked it,
since I am sure that I will soon get back to it. Still, at this stage, I
can't figure how I am going to get on the way with this router
"fonera". I got something new though. At first, I must point out that I
have installed ETCH instead of the Sarge that I had. The problems that I
had encountered with X environment have been mostly solved to a point that
I now get a workable environment. On that ETCH system, when the router
FONERA is cabled to the pcmcia D-Link Ethernet card, 'ifconfig' gives me
this :

#ifconfig
eth0	Encap link:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:.....
	UP BROADCAST RUNNING...
	etc..

eth0:3	Encap link: Ethernet HWadr 00:80:..... (same address as above)
	inet adr:169.254.12.9 Broadcast:169.254.255.255 netmask:255.255.0.0
	UP BROADCASST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 ...
	Interruption: 3 Base address:0x300

lo	Encap link: Local loop
	inet adr:127.0.0.1
	UP LOOPBACK RUNNING ...
	etc..

eth0:3 ??  What on Earth is this ?   I have never seen anything like
this... this eth0:3 only appears after a few 2-3 minutes. The IP address
that it bears (169.254.12.9) is of the same domain as that of the given
address of the 'FONERA' (169.254.255.1)

If the ifconfig test is being done
right after boot, eth0:3 does not show. Furthermore, after another while
(or after the call of another function, I can't remember for sure),
iwconfig mentions, besides 'lo', 'eth0' and 'irda0', something else that
is called 'sit0'.

I have not so far been able to 'enter' this router using Firefox/Iceweasel
by any of the addresses that worked under Microsoft Windows :
169.254.255.1, and, since I switched it into "client" mode :
192.168.1.1.

So far, I really don't know what I should try next, and how am I going to
use this router in client mode as a medium to get Wireless connexion to
my DSL router and, from there, to the Internet.

Thanks in advance for more hints.

> I don't know anything about Fonera's, but most routers
by default run
> DHCP networks, so you *probably* need to to configure your ethernet
> interface for DHCP, ie. if your card is eth0, make sure
> /etc/network/interfaces contains this line:
>
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> then as root in a terminal, execute these two commands:
>
> ifdown eth0
> ifup eth0
>
> If it works, you will see an IP address assigned in your terminal.

Yes, this works all right with my DSL box/router whenever the appropriate
cable is there, as my /etc/network/interfaces file does contain 'iface
eth0 inet dhcp', but I don't know how to get my other router 'FONERA' to
work and wirelessly connect to said DSL/router.

When the cable links the Fonera instead of the DSL box/router, the 'ifup
eth0' command shows repeated attempts :

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 21
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 18
No DHCPOFFERS received
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping