Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

Hi Bernard,

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 00:44:04 +0100
Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:

> This Debian system still did not acknowledge the EtherJet card, but it
> accepted an Ethernet pcmcia 'D-Link 660' card, and gave
> me a good fast 1 MB DSL connexion. Now, my purpose is to have a

Having seen it work in one environment, you now know the Ethernet pcmcia
'D-Link 660' card works with Debian.

> wireless connexion to my DSL
> modem/router (as well as connexions to hotels wireless facilities
> etc..). I thought that I could achieve this with the router Fonera,
> but, even though I have tested this with Microsoft Windows 98, I
> can't get it working on Linux.

If you saw a particular wireless card connect successfully to a wireless
network using Microsoft Windows 98, you now know that that wireless
card has working hardware. There is no guarantee, however, that Debian
has a software driver that will talk to the card. What I do personally,
when I need a wireless card, is I go to the local second-hand computer
gear market with my laptop and physically test *any* PCMCIA card
(wireless or otherwise) to verify it works with Debian before I buy it.
Depending on where you live, that may or may not be easy. This is the
list of wireless cards I have right now:
http://blog.langex.net/index.cgi/xHW/wirelessCards/index

> My first question concerns the cable connexion between the router
> Fonera and my pcmcia Ethernet cards. My first Ethernet card, the IBM

Do not worry (much) about the cable that comes with a particular
Ethernet card. If the plug fits in the socket, and you can make the
card work in any environment using any OS, you know the card and the
cable are good. Then if you trouble in a different environment, the
problem probably lies with either the network configuration of your OS
or the router you are trying to connect to.

> converters are concerned, but, once done, the Fonera does not respond
> to calls to its addresses 169.254.255.1 and 192.168.1.1, while it
> does with the other plugging system, at least under Windows. Is this
> normal, or have I missed something ?  In any case, how can I solve

If you successfully connected to the Fonera with this same card using a
Windows system, then there is no problem with card or Fonera.
Networking is not properly configured on your Debian system.

> this problem ?  which Ethernet pcmcia card will have the same
> plugging system as the EtherJet card as well as being workable under
> Linux ?  From the above report of trials, I am unable to know whether
> the fact that I cannot run this system under Linux is due to this
> system or to the connection mode...

Again, do not worry about what the cable looks like, as long as you know
the cable works. I think this is the chapter of the manual that you are
looking for:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-net-high
I don't know anything about Fonera's, but most routers by default run
DHCP networks, so you *probably* need to to configure your ethernet
interface for DHCP, ie. if your card is eth0, make
sure /etc/network/interfaces contains this line:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

then as root in a terminal, execute these two commands:

ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

If it works, you will see an IP address assigned in your terminal.

Clayton