Re: USB 1.1 too slow to burn DVD's?

Chris Jones wrote:
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 09:04:21PM EDT, Richard Hector wrote:
On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 20:21 -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 03:14:07PM EDT, Paolo wrote:
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 01:18:30PM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
The old laptop only has USB 1.1 and I believe I read somewhere - can't
find where .. that this is too slow to burn DVD's .. only CD's.
Thanks!

I'll read the doc .. but it looks like I really need to buy a new
laptop .. I was planning to do it this Xmas .. but what with the
"economy" I'm not sure it's the way to go any more..
Or buy a USB 2 PCMCIA/Cardbus card?

Any recommendations?

Not a recommendation but a comment as I did this.

Be careful of the power requirement. I has a USB hard drive which needed 1 amp. I bought a Connectland 2 port USB 2 PCMCIA Card but it needed an external power supply to give more than 500mA. I bought one, doubling the cost.

Eventually I tripped over the power cord, pulling it out of the card, which seemed to damage the bus and I was never able to get the card to work after that. Even a replacement did not work.

YMMV,

   Tim