Re: USB 1.1 too slow to burn DVD's?

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 01:18:30PM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> The old laptop only has USB 1.1 and I believe I read somewhere - can't
> find where .. that this is too slow to burn DVD's .. only CD's.
>
> Is there any truth to this .. any workaround?

%man cdrecord

  speed=#
       Set the speed factor of the writing process to #.  # is an inte-
       ger, representing a multiple of the audio speed.  This is  about
       150 KB/s  for  CD-ROM,  about  172 KB/s  for  CD-Audio and about
       1385 kB/s for  DVD  media.

so, burning CD should be fine on "USB" (non Hi-Speed) which is limited to
12Mbps / 1.5Mbps, but DVD burning won't work since min requirement is
~13.5Mbps sustained data rate. Hi-Speed USB (included in 2.0) tops at
480Mbps, enough for the fastest DVD writers.

--
paolo