Re: I want to make a copy of my system on dvd

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:39:19AM +0200, embrik kaslegard wrote:
> >/usr/share/doc but there's hardly +1GB in there.
> >
> >You're right. I came down from 5,7 to 5,2 gb when excluding
> >/usr/share/doc. The other suggestion you had, was a bit too tecnical for
> >me :-(

ok, that's already half a GB; then you can turn to upx-ucl, and give it a
try - compress on disk, _in place_ all executables in /usr/*bin (most of
the executables MB are in there), and anything ELF*executable in /usr/lib*,
then check what's your final figure. From there, only way to fall within
the 4.4 GB DVD limit is likely to remove stuff.
In summary,

1. apt-get install upx-ucl
2. upx /usr/*bin/* (you'll likely see some errors, due to uncompressible
   stuff)
3. upx `find /usr/lib* -type f -exec file {} \;|grep 'ELF [^,]*executable'|cut -d: -f1` (errors/warnings again)

after that, check that programs still work :P.
If all seems fine check size, shave away not-really-really-needed stuff, if
that's the case, and make your bootable livedvd.

Unfortunatly, most of the MB are in libraries, which upx cannot handle, hence
the need for a compressed whole volume.

Of course you want to read upx manual and do some test _first_ ;).

good luck!
HTH
--
paolo