lenny with kernel 2.6.25 freezes on a HP laptop

Hello,

I run Lenny on a HP/Compaq nc6320 laptop.

Recently the kernel was updated to 2.6.25. However, when booting with this
kernel there is eventually a complete freeze. Sometimes the system freezes
during booting, sometimes well after login and independent of any input by
me.

I suspect this problem is related to the fact that the new kernel does not
supports acpi. I removed klaptop, but the problem persists.
Are there any other packages not compatible with the new kernel?
Is there a way to find out what causes the freeze?

When I boot with the 2.6.24 kernel everything runs smoothly.

Any help will be appreciated.