Re: Wireless still broken after fresh install

Dallas Hansen wrote:
> The network-manager-gnome applet is showing a red circle with a line
> through it and it will not give me wireless, even though networks
> are detected in the list. Previously wireless worked flawlessly
> after installation. I would suspect a hardware issue but I have no
> trouble using wireless after booting in XP (my emergency partition).
>
> The machine is a ThinkPad T30 2.0ghz with 512mb RAM.

What type of wifi device do you have?  Is it the Intel 2200BG or
similar?  If so then you will need to install the firmware for the
device into /lib/firmware.  The firmware blobs do not meet the Debian
Free Software Guidelines and therefore cannot be included in Debian.

  http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

You do not need to recompile the driver or anything crazy.  Simply
copy the three .fw firmware files into /lib/firmware.  Download the
v3.0 firmware here:

  http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php

The whole process looks something like this:

  wget 'http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?i_agree_to_the_license=yes&f=ipw2200-fw-3.0.tgz'
  tar xzvf ipw2200-fw-3.0.tgz
  cd ipw2200-fw-3.0
  pager LICENSE.ipw2200-fw
  cp ipw2200-bss.fw ipw2200-ibss.fw ipw2200-sniffer.fw /lib/firmware/

Bob