Re: Sound Not working on T61

Hi Franklin,

Keep in mind that using Testing or Unstable means :
- More hardware supported.
- Newer versions of software.
- **More bugs**.

reminder: Before Debian/Stable is release, Debian goes through a freeze period to *find* bugs *fix* bugs, update documentation, etc.

But what if MyPackage 1.0 in stable is broken (for me) but MyPackage 2.0 in testing/unstable works perfectly? On desktop/laptop, I prefer using newer software with some bugs than older software (which have bugs anyway). I really don't want to use Gnome 2.14 when 2.22 will be out in a few months.

IMHO: I wouldn't advice anybody to use Debian/Testing or
Debian/Unstable,  unless it's hardware really isn't supported...
Unless the user is willing to help Debian (developing, finding and/or
fixing bugs, etc.)

I wouldn't if it was a server or productive system. But on recent desktop/laptop, yes, I would recommend using "testing/unstable" because I think it will probably work better "out of the box". I'm quite new to Debian (a few months) and directly installed unstable without much troubles. I would have probably faced more issues installing "stable" (sound problem, nVidia drivers, etc). But next time, I will warn the user that using "testing" or "unstable" is not recommended for everybody.

Regards,

Cyril Jaquier