Re: fsck problem

Hello Bob,

sorry for the late answer but I have fished
your message out of my spamfolder today...

Am 2008-01-16 09:31:33, schrieb Bob Proulx:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > and while mountig /dev/hda10 it has locked the entired Laptop...
> > [root@aspire1350.private:~/] fsck.ext3 -c /dev/hda10
> > Checking for bad blocks (non-destructive read-write test)
> >        0 bad blocks
>
> Since you have zero bad blocks you might consider not using the -c
> option to run the badblocks program.  I have always assumed that this
> would avoid a lot of machine resources if it is not needed.  Not sure
> if this is related to your issue or not.

I was thinking , there minght be some bad blocks...

> > but while mounting and transfering gigabyted of Debian packages to a
> > local mirror /dev/sda10 or /dev/hda10 lost its ext3 journal again...
>
> I am not sure what "lost its ext3 journal" means in detail.  How are
> you observing and determining that?

The HDD does not more stop to spin and if I try to write to the disk I
get something "short read error" which force me to umont the drive and
then run the fsck.ext3 and it restore every time the journal.

If I try to remount the drive without fsck.ext3, it tell me that ext3
is the wrong FS and it is mounted as ext2.  :-(

> Between booting and mounting and copying are you hibernating or
> sleeping the machine?

No, nothing is installed which force the machine to sleep or hybernate.

> This is not laptop specific and so if you don't find a satisfactory
> answer here you might consider posting to the larger debian-user
> audience.  There would be a larger pool of knowledge to draw from
> there.  This looks to be specifically an ext3 issue.  But many people
> do very similar things every day and don't see this problem and so the
> difficulty will be to determine why your installation is somehow
> different.

Maybe my TP570 will go?

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)