X31 - will not power-on after OFF or Hibernate: solution!

Using latest bios and several operating systems: W2K, WXP, Ubuntu,
Debian-test, Mepis.

After playing with it for two weeks, on/off,suspend-ram/disk, I think
problem lies in battery or in power hw.

When power-on sw fails, if I remove battery and plug, then insert plug
and power-on: OK..

I generally just leave X31 in suspend-ram, never a problem there, but
(almost?) always when the power is off, the X31 will not power-on
unless I fool with battery and/or power connection.  I have several
different Thinkpad models and never saw this before.

One nice thing about the X31 and T42, switching harddisks works very
well exept eth0/eth2 required a change in /etc/network/interface.