Re: issues with HP dv5000 laptop

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:58:19 -0200, Adriano Bonat wrote:
>> On Jan 14, 2008 5:47 PM, Preston Boyington wrote:
>>> I have installed Debian (and Ubuntu) on this laptop several times and I
>>> am stumped.  If I use Debian 4.0r2 (currently "stable") I don't have any
>>> problems with the font size in gdm, but if I directly install "testing"
>>> from a netinst cd or do a dist-upgrade the fonts are gigantic.
[...]
>> I have the same notebook, when I was using Debian with KDM (etch)
>> everything was ok, now I was testing Kubuntu and I have always in kdm
>> that big fonts problem, after login, everything is ok.
>>
>> They say that the solution is specify a DisplaySize in your xorg.conf,
>> but for me doesnt work.
>
> Putting the DisplaySize into xorg.conf used to be a good way to ensure
> consistent DPI settings, because this was independent of how you started
> X, but as far as I can tell this approach does not work reliably anymore
> at the moment for both Lenny and Sid.

Since version 1.3 of the xserver-xorg-core package the configuration file
xorg.conf has more flexibility for multi-head configuration. The different heads
(outputs) of the graphical unit can be bound to different monitor sections via
an option called "Monitor-<ouputname>" in the device section (compare man-page
xorg.conf(5): monitor section). Especially in notebooks, the LCD called LVDS
(compare /var/log/Xorg.0.log) is sometimes not bound to the monitor section (and
its settings) without this additional option in the device section. An example
configuration (for an intel graphic device but transferable to any hardware) can
be found on http://www.intellinuxgraphics.com/dualhead.html.
> Two important commands to figure out what is going on:
>
> xdpyinfo | egrep 'dim|resol'
> ps -ef | grep '/usr/bin/X[ ]'
>
> The first one displays the DPI current settings, the second one shows
> which parameters were passed to X when it was started - watch out for an
> incorrect "-dpi ..." specification here. I have the impression that it
> is currently necessary to enforce a correct DPI setting; Xorg seems to
> adjust its ideas about the display dimensions based on that.

Interesting is also the output of the command xrandr to learn about the
available graphical outputs and to configure them.
--
Regards,
Jörg-Volker.