Re: power management problems

Hi,
I am running 2.6.18 kernel (etch) on a DELL D610 laptop.
I had many problems with the acpi-cpufreq module which dit not load
properly, no easy control on frequency etc... (and much less than one
hour working time, plus laptop getting hot - I guess hardware does not
like that ! -).
I changed to the speedstep-centrino module which works perfectly
(p4-clockmod also worked well,  but less flexible).
I have now more that 2 hours working time on battery, about the same
under Windows XP.
Regards,
JMM

PS : Do you have an additional battery on the XPS ? Can you see it
(/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info or BAT1)?

Ritesh Raj Sarraf a écrit :
> On Thursday 13 September 2007, Alexandre Rossi wrote:
>
>> Is CPU frequency scaling on? If not, this clearly explains it all for me.
>> For example, on my laptop :
>> $ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>> conservative
>>

> Yes. It is enabled. I'm using the acpi-cpufreq kernel module.
>
> rrs@learner:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> ondemand
>

>> Next is the LCD backlight : is it at the same level in Linux as in
>> Windows? I know that on my laptop, I get one extra hour of battery
>> time by lowering the LCD brightness to the minimum.
>>

> Recently, my LCD backlight got detected as "Set Brightness Controlled".
> Earlier, the OS would say that this feature is not supported. But now it can
> control the brightness.
> Anyway, my testing were done by putting the brightness to low. But still the
> same results.
>
> Will a debug kernel help ?
>
> Ritesh

Jean-Marie Mouchel

Adresse :
UMR 7619 - Sisyphe
Universite P. et M. Curie
Case 105 - Tour 56/46 - 3ieme etage
4 place Jussieu - 75252 Paris Cedex 05
Programme PIREN-Seine : http://www.sisyphe.upmc.fr/internet/piren

Tel : +33 (0)1 44 27 51 26 - Fax : +33 (0)1 44 27 51 25
courriel : jean-marie.mouchel@ccr.jussieu.fr
bureau : Bureau 404, Tour 56/55, 4ieme etage