Re: power management problems

Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> > Linux => 5-10 minutes
> > Windows => 1.5 hrs

Wow.  I can't imagine how much current must be drawn in order to drain
a battery that fast.

> maybe it would be a goog look, to see how much power does your laptop need.
> on my thinkpad i can look at:
> /proc/acpi/battery/...

  cat /proc/acpi/battery/*/state
  cat /proc/acpi/battery/*/info

> and it tells me, how many milliwatts are drawn from the laptop.
> And Capacity/Milliwatts = Time Your Laptop Will Work
>
> And you are sure, the lifetime is 10minutes? not the display from your
> battery?

This is a very good question.  It is not uncommon for the acpi to
report buggy values.  This might simply be a reporting problem.  How
long does your laptop actually run before the battery drops off?

On the other hand if your laptop actually does stop running after 5-10
minutes then I have to wonder if it is not a different problem
entirely?  Such as are the cooling fans running?  If it simply dies
quickly then perhaps the battery is fine but that it is overheating?
In that case 5-10 minutes may be about right for it to generate a lot
of heat and fail due to over-temperature.  I have heard various
reports from people of machines that overheat when running Linux due
either higher cpu utilization or broken acpi fan controls.

Just brainstorming something to think about...

Bob