Re: ipw3945 wireless card fails to access the web

pinniped schrieb:

Dont I need a section on eth2

Sorry about my earlier post - I thought you mentioned the card somewhere and then I couldn't find it (right in the subject line where I can't see it).

You need wireless-tools installed and wpasupplicant.

I don't use roaming (waproamd) so my interfaces entry looks something like this:
iface eth2 inet dhcp
       wpa-conf managed
       wpa-ssid SomeName
       wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
       wpa-psk the-hex-WPA-key

I'm sure the official Debian site had a howto on this (including TKIP) but I can't find the page now.

It can be found here:
/usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/wpa-psk-tkip.conf

This describes the config used with seperate conf-files /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

For me (Etch) the following is working with TKIP:

/etc/network/interfaces
auto lo eth2
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth2 inet dhcp
        wpa-driver wext
        wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
        ssid="ESSID"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        proto=WPA
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
        psk="1234567890123456"
}
### Associate with any open access point
###  Scans/ESSID changes can be done with wpa_cli
network={
        key_mgmt=NONE
}

To get the hex key you use the 'wpa_passphrase' tool:
wpa_passphrase SSID passphrase

So in the example above it would be something like:
wpa_passphrase SomeName somesillypassphrase