ipw3945 wireless card fails to access the web

Dont I need a section on eth2

Sorry about my earlier post - I thought you mentioned the card somewhere and then I couldn't find it (right in the subject line where I can't see it).

You need wireless-tools installed and wpasupplicant.

I don't use roaming (waproamd) so my interfaces entry looks something like this:
iface eth2 inet dhcp
       wpa-conf managed
       wpa-ssid SomeName
       wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
       wpa-psk the-hex-WPA-key

I'm sure the official Debian site had a howto on this (including TKIP) but I can't find the page now.

To get the hex key you use the 'wpa_passphrase' tool:
wpa_passphrase SSID passphrase

So in the example above it would be something like:
wpa_passphrase SomeName somesillypassphrase