Thinkpad: Volume buttons and GNOME's visual feedback

Hi there,

I have a Thinkpad with a hardware mixer and three volume buttons. I
configured TPB to get a visual feedback which is rather ugly.

Is there a way I can configure GNOME to show the same visual feedback
that I get when I configure a keyboard shortcut for volume control?

(I know I could just use TPB to map the volume buttons to a GNOME
keyboard shortcut, but the device has a hardware mixer -- the volume
would then be pushed up/down twice: First in the mixer, then through the
GNOME shortcut.)

Please CC me, I'm not on the list anymore.

Regards,
André