Re: Suspend to disk?

* Andrew McMillan <andrew@catalyst.net.nz> [2007 Aug 26 03:57 -0500]:

> This is correct.  For this to work you need to add the following option
> onto your kernel boot command line in /boot/grub/menu.lst (assuming
> that's what you use to choose kernels :-)  E.g.:
>
> 	resume=/dev/hda5
>
> Where you replace '/dev/hda5/' with whatever partition *you* use for
> swap.
>
> For me, for example, the 'resume' appears in menu.lst on my own laptop
> in the following two lines:
>
> # defoptions=vga=0 resume=/dev/sda5 pci=assign-busses,routeirq
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-hippy root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=0 resume=/dev/sda5 pci=assign-busses,routeirq

I did that.  In my case it is /dev/hda2

> Indeed.  Because the kernel wasn't told to try and resume from that
> partition.  All credit to "powersave -U" for checking you had a working
> configuration before actually suspending, but I guess the documentation
> is lacking.

I think the program is lacking as well since it couldn't find the
resume text in my menu.lst and kept popping up a warning message.  I
was even sure to reboot incase powersave was looking in /proc/cmdline
for the resume line.

> I realise you've solved your problem in *other* ways now, but I thought
> that this answer might also be useful and enlightening :-)

I'm somewhat concerned that option "A" didn't work for me, a rather
experienced Debian user.  If I can't figure it out, how will a newbie?
That is a concern to me if Debian is to attract a larger user base.
Second, option "B" was no easy thing to figure out either.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"