Re: Sony or Toshiba? (corrected)

Carlos Felipe Saraiva Pinheiro wrote:
Hi Andrew.
Thank you for the hints.
And for those who are interested in such a bargain, check out CircuitCity.

cheers

Felipe

On Wed, 02 May 2007 16:18:53 +1200
Andrew McMillan <andrew@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 17:18 -0300, Carlos Felipe S. Pinheiro wrote:

Hi. I was looking for a notebook I found two good deals: Toshiba

Satellite

A135-S4527 and Sony VAIO N220E/B, both for the same price (after

rebate)

$599.99.
I wonder which one would have better Linux compatibility (and maybe

better

performance).

Hi Felipe,

If we cut those lists down to the parts that actually are different...

*** Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 *************************
Processor Speed:	1.73 GHz
Hard Drive Capacity:	120 GB
4 x USB v2.0
6-cell (4000mAh) rechargeable, removable Lithium-Ion battery pack
Weight:	6.0 lbs

*** Sony VAIO N220E/B ***************************
Processor Speed:	1.6 GHz
Hard Drive Capacity:	80 GB
2 x USB 2.0
Standard Lithium-ion battery (VGP-BPS2A/S)
Weight:	6.5 lbs

The Toshiba Satellite would seem to be a _clear_ winner.  10% faster
CPU, 50% more HD, 10% lighter, 100% more USB ports...

I'm not sure of the battery equivalences, but the Sony is unlikely to

be

vastly different.

Other notes:

 - The card slots probably won't work under Linux, except to read SD

(&

MMC?) cards where there are some under-development drivers that I have
had some success with on a different laptop.

 - You may need to install Xorg 7.3 to get the graphics running
properly, or perhaps use 915resolution (but really, Xorg7.3 is a

better

solution).

Everything else should work OK.

Cheers,
					Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,

Wellington

WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis

St

DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE:

+64(4)499-2267

       The secret of being a bore is to say everything -- Voltaire

Wow, that's a great deal.  Could really buy into that but no money for computers now.
Would really like to replace the Gateway.  Under Linux the keyboard, touchpad and face of the computer are extremely sensitive;i.e.; if one's finger touches the bezel around the touchpad it will jump to another open application; likewise say I'm using the terminal, if the cursor gets moved out of the terminal window, keyboard entry stops until the cursor is again placed in the terminal area.
Jim