Re: iceweasel flashplayer on amd 64

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 15:05:49 +0200, Alexandre Neubert wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I want to mount the flash player on my web browser (iceweasel for the
> moment) which runs on an amd64 arch. Of course, I noticed that the package
> is not available and that no binary is  exists on the macromedia site for
> 64
> bit architectures.
> After a few minutes on the net, I noticed that I was not the first to have
> this problem :) but I didn't find any  tutorial either. The only page I got
> is from the french ubuntu documentation
> http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/nspluginwrapper which I tried , but while
> executing
> the wrapping line, I get:
>
> # nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins32/libflashplayer.so
> /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin:
> /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin: cannot execute binary
> file
> nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins32/libflashplayer.so
>
> I don't really understand this message; all requiered packages have been
> installed successfully.
>
> Does anybody know how to get the non-free version of flashplayer working on
> iceweasel (or any other browser)? Or how to fix the error message I get
> with
> the ubuntu wrapping method?

I have set up a 32bit chroot environment as is described here:
https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id292205

That has the advantage that I can use it for any 32bit-only application,
so I have a 32bit iceweasel which works with flashplayer, a 32bit xine
to play movies which need proprietary w32codecs, I can run Adobe reader
if necessary, etc. You can set this up so that it is completely
transparent to the user; I followed the "schroot-wrapper" approach
described in the link.

          Florian   |