Re: xorg server error on init

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 11:49:00 -0300, Nicolas Garimaldi wrote:
> 2007/4/18, Florian Kulzer:
>> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 16:38:47 -0300, Nicolas Garimaldi wrote:
>> > Hi everyone, im a newbie with all about xserver
>> > well i will try to explain my problem
>> > i was using a old version of xorg server
>> > but im using debian and y try to upgrade my navigator, and the
>> > aptitude upgrade me ALL the system . . .  so i dont think this will
>> > crush the system but!
>> > when the gdm start give this error:

[ snip: errors loading various xorg modules; input device nodes don't
  work ]

>> > also i recently have the next problem i`when is initializing xorg server
>> > apm: Bios not found
>> >
>> > i have a old compaq presario
>> > and a kernel 2.6.8
>> > debian sarge or debian version 4.0
>> >
>> > So i have noooo!!! idea what is the problem, if anyone can give me any
>> > help i will appreciate
>
>> First we need to know if you have Sarge (version 3.1) or Etch (version
>> 4.0). Please post the output of the following three commands:
>
>> cat /etc/debian_version
> 4.0
>
>> uname -a
> Linux Notebook 2.6.8-2-386 # thu May 19 17:40:50 JST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
>
>> dpkg -l aptitude libc6 xorg | tail -n 3
> ii aptitude       0.4.4-4         terminal-based apt frontend
> ii libc6             2.3.6.ds1-13    GNU C Library: Shared libraries
> ii xorg              7.1.0-16          X.Org X Window System
>
>> What you say sounds like you tried to upgrade from Sarge to Etch, but we
>> need to know for sure.
>
> mm....sound like that, also seems like my kernel is for 386 but the
> system is a i686
> i dunno anything about that

The i686 kernels are optimized for the newer processors, but the 386
kernels will work, too. I think for now you should not worry about this.
Once everything else is fixed you can change to an i686 kernel.

So here is your problem: You did an incomplete upgrade from Sarge to
Etch. This is also obvious from the /etc/apt/sources.list which you
posted in your other recent message. The most important thing is to
upgrade your kernel to version 2.6.18. Somebody else had a similar issue
very recently; please see here for details:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2007/04/msg00089.html

Also note that the upgrade instructions are available in a number of
languages (including Italian):

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes

(Make sure that you use one from the "Intel x86" row.)

Completing the upgrade procedure should get your system running again.
Report back if anything should go wrong.

          Florian   |