Re: IBM T22 S3 Savage Video Sarge to Etch Upgrade

[ Please stop top-posting since it makes it very difficult for others to
  follow the discussion. This in turn reduces the likelihood of people
  joining in and helping you. ]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 14:44:44 -0500, John T. Lapp wrote:
> Phil,
>
> Running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"  from the root prompt completes the
> configureation and drops me back at the prompt. Rebooting produces the same
> result, no GUI :-(

[...]

and earlier he wrote:
>>> I ran Synaptic upgrade from Sarge to Etch without bothering to read
>>> the upgrade docs first:-( Synaptic completed ok, just the usual
>>> questions about what to keep and what to replace. Noted that menu
>>> fonts in firefox were changed.  I rebooted and now have just a
>>> command line. GUI tries to start, but fails.

After you are returned to the terminal, what is the output of the
following three commands:

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

lspci | egrep -i 'vga|video|graphic|display'

awk '/Section "Device"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

--
Regards,     | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
   Florian   |