Broken ACPI with kernel 2.6.18-4-686 in HP nx6110 laptop

I have a problem with my HP Compaq nx6110 laptop.

Since upgrading to Kernel 2.6.18-4-686 (currently running version
2.6.18.dfsg.1-12) on Debian Etch I've been unable to get ACPI to work
on the machine. As a result I don't get any battery or AC status and
the machine doesn't power off properly when I shut down.

The modules acpi gives a fatal error (no such device) when I try
modprobe acpi
or
modprobe battery
or
modprobe ac

I then compiled a custom 2.6.20 kernel downloaded from kernel.org and
ACPI works perfectly with that. But unfortunately, compiling a
pristine kernel.org kernel against Debian breaks other things like the
iptables setup.

Then I installed the Debian linux kernel sources 2.6.18-4 from the
repository and tried to compile it after going through "make xconfig",
but that it has the same problem (no ACPI) even when I compiled all
the ACPI related modules in the kernel. I used the option

make-kpkg --initrd linux-image

to compile the kernel the "Debian way".

So I want to know whether anybody else has had this ACPI problem with
their laptop. I am 99% sure that it's a kernel problem and not a
problem with "acpid" because of what I mentioned above. I've tried
everything, but nothing works with the current Debian kernel in Etch
on my laptop.

If you need any other information, I'll send it to the list after I
boot up my laptop.

Regards,
Hari