Re: [Fwd: Heathcliff for Saturday March 17, 2007]

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:19:57 +0100
Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:

[snip]

> <no_flames_please>
> If I define spam as "mail that wastes my bandwidth and time without
> being related to the list's topic" then by far the worst are the
> way-off-topic threads on d-u sent in by valid users. I guess they
> outnumber advertising spam by about a factor of 100.
>
> Unless these users/contributers cannot be persuaded to cut on their
> output of 'spam', any additional measures relying on automated solutions
> are bound to get only a small improvement.

I'm not trying to flame, but people have repeatedly pointed out that
most of the OT stuff is in threads marked 'OT', so filtering on that
could be helpful (although it obviously won't save your bandwidth).

Celejar