Re: CPU power management

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 02:49:28AM +0200, Eddy Petri??or wrote:
> Mattia Dongili wrote:
> >> See /proc/acpi/processor/CPU[01]/throttling, I have:
>
> Is that on Linux or kFreeBSD?

the above quoted /proc entry is Linux, the one who is mixing scaling and
throttling is FreeBSD.

> > Oh, and let me add (even if probably aready mentioned): throttling
> > doesn't save any power, it just idles your cpu. Ok, less heat (no fans,
> > etc) but the real saving is probably unnoticeable.
>
> Taking into account that my laptop almost all the time heats up even
> if scaled down to 50% (1GHz/minimum) in Linux, thus triggering
> periodic fan runs at regular intervals, which, of course, leads to
> more power consumption, I'd welcome throttling .... although I don't
> know if it would make any difference taking into account my laptop
> always runs at 1GHz when on battery.

well, the backside is that eg. building a kernel will take twice running
with the cpu throttled at 50%.

I haven't any measurement but I'm pretty sure you can find something
online (especially related to the P4 clock modulation which only allows
throttling, and in this regard I'm in favour of throttling too as my
desktop's P4 heats very fast).

--
mattia
:wq!