Re: [fwd] Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat)

I didn't read the complete thread, please excuse
if you already went through this steps.

Long Li,

I assume your sound card works under Win.
and you already booted a recent Knoppix and
it doesn't work either.
Then, google the kernel lists for your sound chip.
You probably need to know the exact revision
number. Ensure this also by Win system tools,
preferably provided by the laptop company, and
BIOS (or even visually).

Prepare to compile a custom test kernel with
SND_VIA82XX, and PCI Bus Debugging
and Sound Driver Debugging enabled, also
SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS. (Try to google a
proper config template for your machine).
Configure PCI Bus and Device Drivers -> DMA
Engine settings.
You can probably enable PCI Express.

Some VIA chips are known to be icky, but there
are workarounds which can be enabled in the
kernel config and via module-loading parameters.

If Florian wasn't able to find a solution then
it should be a real hard one ;) and you probably
would need help/docu from the driver developers.

Two of the Guys familiar with your chip are Karsten
Wiese, and Jaroslav Kysela, try googling them on
kernel.org.