Re: Ejecting Ultrabay DVD-CD drive freezes Thinkpad

On Saturday 03 February 2007 21:38, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> On Fre, 02 Feb 2007, John O'Hagan wrote:
> > The command
> >
> > #echo -n eject > /proc/acpi/ibm/bay
> >
> > freezes my Etch Thinkpad T40 randomly, about half the time. I must then
> > use Alt+Shift+SysRq to shut down.
> > This is the eject function of the ibm_acpi kernel module, for Thinkpad
> > Ultrabays.
[...]
> there is a project call tp_smapi which solvs this problem in a better more
> stable way.
>
> Your problem is, the IDE interface which isn't hotplug able be default.. so
> its like you cut the power of an harddisc which will also "crash" the
> kernel.
[...]

Thanks for the info...tp_smapi isn't in testing yet; for such a small problem,
I'll just wait.

Just for heck of it, I tried using the hotswap package to issue this command:

hotswap unregister-ide

which is, not surprisingly, meant to unregister the IDE device (the DVD-ROM in
my case) from the kernel. This makes /dev/hdc disappear, along with a bunch
of other files in /proc and /sys with names including "hdc" and "ide1".

I would have thought that doing this before powering off the device would have
avoided the problem Florian describes above. However, the freezes still
occur. Anyone know why?

Regards,

John