From: "Safirst C. Ke" <safirst|at|163|dot|com>
Subject: Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat)
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 22:34:21 +0800

hi,when I exec the "speaker-test",it shows an error message:
"Playback open error:No Such Device"
What and Why is this?
How to deal with it ?

[ snip: quoted old message ]

----- End forwarded message -----

You seem to have a different problem than the originator of this thread.
It looks like the drivers for your sound card have not been loaded. This
can have a number of reasons. To help you further, we need to know which
version of Debian you are using and the exact model of your sound card.

Please post the output of the following two commands:

cat /etc/issue
lspci | egrep -i 'audio|multimedia'

My system is Debian Sarge 3.1 r4 on the Samsung X11,
and the command 'lspci | egrep -i 'audio|multimedia'
didn't show any thing.
My sound card is called High Definition Audio Codec AD1986A.
It's like that I haven't install any sound driver,isn't ?
but I see the Alsa package is installed in my system.

--
Regards,
Safirst C. Ke