Re: Trouble auto-mounting with a PCMCIA flash reader...

Micha wrote:
Maybe 'supermount' can do the trick (but i never installed it
myself.)
Looks promising. I'll take a look.
Did you already check how a full KDE session (udev/hald/kio) would handle insertion ?
KDE wasn't detecting it, either. However, after a reboot, things seem to be about 70% working. KDE kinda sees it (it shows it to me as a USB dongle drive) and double-clicking the icon mounts and opens the drive.

Still doesn't unmount automatically, though.

I'd like to avoid *needing* KDE for any of this, since I sometime run on console-only. I'd like the mounting/unmounting to be done all by daemons yet *also* have KDE recognize the insertion and update it's "media:" namespace accordingly.
If inserting a card would produce an udev event, you can use udevinfo to get some usable keyword and place a custom udev rule in /etc/udev/rules.d.
I thought the udev rules were only to customize the *naming* (and symlinking) of the device files (as I'm already doing with my USB dongle drives. I wasn't aware that you could trigger mounting/unmounting with them. Do you have to do that in fstab by setting the "auto" option?

- Joe